Browsing News Entries
Posted on 07/24/2021 10:07 AM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
Family Faith registration is open now for all students in preschool- 8th grade. We are excited to be able to be a part of your family’s faith journey as, together, we walk the discipleship path!
- Preschool – 6th grade: Monthly family gatherings with at-home materials
- 7th – 8th grade: Gospel Hangout weekly on zoom and in-person mini-retreats throughout the year
Take a look at the parish website for details for your children in preschool through eighth grade. We follow the safety protocols of the Archdiocese. To Register or for more information visit https://www.saintjudetheapostle.org/famil. Or reach out to [email protected]
Posted on 07/6/2021 07:44 AM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
July 6, 2021
My dear parish family,
Just want to quickly remind you about the fact that we will have several hours of Eucharistic Adoration tomorrow (Wednesday) from 12:30 pm until 7:30 pm. Right after the noon Mass, the Blessed Sacrament will be exposed on the altar for a special time of praise and prayer. Jesus will be present on the altar throughout the afternoon and early evening, and the Sacrament will be reposed in the tabernacle during the Novena to St. Jude that begins at 7:30 pm. Before the viral curtain came down, we were having this opportunity for adoration and prayerful intercession on just the first Wednesday of the month. But we're responding to the suggestion of many in our parish that this time be expanded throughout the month. Please count on it on the Wednesdays to come. Make a special note on your calendars for tomorrow and the Wednesdays to come.
Peace in His service,
Twelve Biblical Reasons for Wanting to Spend One Hour With Jesus In The Blessed Sacrament
- He is really there!" I myself Am the Living Bread come down from Heaven." (Jn 6:35)
- Day and night Jesus dwells in the Blessed Sacrament because of his Infinite love for you! "Behold I will be with you always even to the end of the world," because "I have loved you with an everlasting love, and constant is My affection for you." (Mt 28:20; Jer 31:3)
- The specific way that Jesus asks you to love Him in return is to spend one quiet hour with Him in the Blessed Sacrament. "Where your treasure is, there is your heart..." "Could you not watch one hour with me?" (Mt 6:21; 26:40)
- When you look upon the Sacred Host, you look upon Jesus, the Son of God. "Indeed, this is the will of My Father, that everyone who looks upon the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life. Him I will raise up on the last day." (Jn 6:40)
- Each moment that you spend in His Eucharistic Presence will increase His Divine Life within you and deepen your personal relationship and friendship with Him. "I have come that you may have life, and have it more abundantly." "I am the Vine and you are the branches. Whoever remains in Me and I in Him shall bear much fruit because without Me, you can do nothing." (Jn 15:5)
- Each hour you spend with Jesus will deepen His Divine Peace in your heart. "Come to Me all of you who are weary and find life burdensome and I will refresh you..." "Cast all of your anxieties upon the One who cares for you..." "My Peace is My Gift to you." (Mt 11:28; 5:7, Jn 14:17)
- Jesus will give you all the Graces you need to be happy! "The Lamb on the Throne will shepherd them. He will lead them to the springs of life-giving water." (Rev 7:17)
- Jesus is infinitely deserving of our unceasing thanksgiving and adoration for all He has done for our salvation. "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive honor, glory and praise." (Rev 5:12)
- For Peace in our country! "When My people humble themselves and seek My Presence...I will revive their land." (2Chr 7:14)
- Each hour you spend with Jesus on earth will leave your soul everlastingly more beautiful and glorious in heaven! "They who humble themselves shall be exalted..." "All of us, gazing on the Lord's glory with unveiled faces, are being transformed from glory to glory into His very image." (Lk 18:14; 2Cor 3:18)
- Jesus will bless you, your family and the whole world for this hour of faith you spend with Him in the Blessed Sacrament. "Blessed are they who do not see and yet believe..." "Faith can move mountains..." "What is needed is trust..." "Behold I come to make all things new." (Jn 20:29; Mk 11:23; Mk 5:36; Rev 21:5)
- Each moment you spend with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament brings joy, pleasure, and delight to His Sacred Heart! "My joy, My pleasure, My delight is to be with you." (Prov 8:30)
Posted on 07/2/2021 08:37 AM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
My dear parish family,
Blessings to you and yours as we sail into this great holiday weekend!
Just want to quickly bring to your attention a couple of developments that will be two more indications that life and ministry at St. Jude’s are expanding and deepening even as we are settling into a more familiar pattern of life.
This coming Wednesday (and on the Wednesdays to come) after our daily Mass at noon we will be exposing the Blessed Sacrament for a special time of adoration and prayer. The Sacrament will be present on the altar throughout the afternoon, and reposed during the Novena to St. Jude that begins at 7:30 on Wednesday evenings. Previously we were having this opportunity for praise and prayerful intercession on just the first Wednesday of the month. But it has been the suggestion of many that we expand these times of Adoration of Christ, present in the Blessed Sacrament, throughout the month.
Over the past few months, the question most often asked (by people of ALL AGES, by the way) has been: “When are we bringing back donuts?” The answer to that question is: this coming Sunday, the Fourth of July. I don’t know if they make donuts with red, white, and blue sprinkles—but if they do, we’ll get ‘em. Starting this Sunday we will be regularly having donuts once again after the 8:00 and 10:00 Masses.
Let’s keep praying for one another! May all of us and our households be healthy and happy and HOLY!
Peace in His service,
Posted on 06/18/2021 16:48 PM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
Welcome Home Weekend
June 18, 2021
- St. Jude's will be open daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Hand Sanitizing is available and encouraged
- No social-distancing requirements
- Masks are required for the unvaccinated
- Please sing!
- Absolutely no bath-robes, bunny-slippers, or coffee mugs.
WELCOME BACK TO YOUR CHURCH-HOME!
A letter from Father Jim
My dear parish family,
While this has become a special kind of "WELCOME HOME WEEKEND" here at St. Jude's and throughout our Archdiocese, let's also acknowledge that this weekend already was designated a time for special celebration. This FATHERS' DAY WEEKEND is one in which we thank God for all our Dads, living and deceased, and we ask God's choicest blessings for them. Fathers: we're praying-you-up in a special way at all our Masses this weekend. Maybe one of those main ways that we can celebrate our Dads this weekend is by accompanying them to Mass...perhaps for the first time in quite a while.
I was very surprised earlier this week when we received the revised guidelines for our parish liturgical life: there was so much greater emphasis on the "opening up" than I thought would be the case. While masks are still required for the unvaccinated and for any and all who are ministering in any way at Mass, the first step in eliminating masks has been taken. There is no requirement for social distancing, and our full participation in singing our prayer to the Lord is encouraged. This transitional moment gives us the opportunity to be especially accommodating to one another. (For instance: the Sign of Peace will require a bit of consultation and negotiation: Fist-bump? Elbows? Nods? Bows?) But let's enjoy this time of moving into greater ease and continued good health.
We all certainly want to be respectful of the decisions that many of our parishioners need to make regarding safety for themselves personally and for their families and households. Those who are still very uncomfortable with an in-person celebration of the Eucharist will take the necessary precautions to guarantee their good health and safety, and we want to be supportive of their decisions. The Archdiocese has asked that we discontinue our practice of "Drive-Up Communion", but we will continue to have the Mass live-streamed into our hall, where social distancing can be easily accomplished, and the Lord may be reverently received. We once again now have permission to send out our Eucharistic Ministers to the Sick, who can take our Eucharistic Lord to the sick and shut-ins of the parish. Please contact our parish office (818-889-1279) if this is a service that can be provided for you or those you love.
I'm so looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible this weekend! Am praying all possible joy and...
Peace in His service,
Posted on 06/12/2021 06:55 AM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
Together in Misson Annual Appeal- As LA Catholics, we move Forward with Faith with a servant's heart for our struggling parishes and schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. During our Together in Mission 2021 "Forward with Faith" Annual Appeal, your tremendous generosity will continue to provide essential resources that enrich parish life, strengthen families and communities, and inspire and educate future generations at 67 parishes and 74 schools throughout the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. Thank you for your generous gifts and together we move Forward with Faith as One Catholic Family. To donate or for more information visit https://www.togetherinmission.org/
Posted on 06/12/2021 06:18 AM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
Merry Hall Tree Thrift Store invites you to their Friends & Family Soft Open from June 14-18, Monday thru Friday, with special hours 10:30am to 2:00pm. Please join them as they welcome their volunteers back to work and get ready for their Grand Opening on June 21. Click to view flyer
Merry Hall Tree Thrift Store, 2929 Theresa Dr, Newbury Park, CA 91320. Phone (805) 498-7886. Donations are accepted M-F from 10am-2:30pm.
Located in Newbury Park, California, Mary Health of the Sick is a 24-hour skilled nursing facility. It is owned and operated by the Servants of Mary, Ministers to the Sick, a Catholic congregation of women religious who dedicate their lives to providing loving, compassionate nursing care to people of all faiths. For more information visit https://maryhealth.com/
Posted on 06/1/2021 07:39 AM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
Food and Recycling Drive-Thru Collection -Next Collection June 19
On the third Saturday of every month from 9am-10am. You are invited to drive through St. Jude’s parking lot as many third Saturdays of every month as you can to drop off a bag(s) of food AND your aluminum cans and plastic drink bottles with a CRV separated into bags for recycling. If possible, crushing the bottles and cans ahead of time is very helpful. (NO GLASS It can be redeemed on Moorpark & Janss roads near Carl’s Jr.)
Questions? Want to donate but are unable to drop off? Want to volunteer in the parking lot? Have a truck for delivery? Please contact John or Jackie Treuting at 805-495-4630. Not getting out to shop? A check to Loaves and Fishes Ministry is welcomed and can be dropped off in line or mailed to the church. For questions contact Jackie Treuting (805)495-4630
Westlake Automotive Discount - Thank you/head's up to Westlake Independent Automotive for the major part they are playing in our monthly food drives. They are offering a discount to anyone bringing in canned foods to their location, 31290 La Baya Dr. #1, Westlake Village, for Loaves and Fishes Food Collections. They have brought a truckload each month since January. That's about 50 bins of food--maybe around 150 bags!!
Posted on 05/24/2021 16:43 PM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
Posted on 05/1/2021 05:14 AM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
The winners of this year's Knights of Columbus student essay contest are:
1st Place - Marie Claire Xanders $100 award & certificate
2nd Place - Ryleigh Koch - $75 award and certificate
3rd Place - Kayla Jarra - $50 award and certificate
All three students are eligible to move on and compete in the district (area), State and national contest. Congratulations on the three winners and their teacher, Miss Jilian Vitelli. SK Rich Malfatti, Program Director, Knights of Columbus Council 8072.
Posted on 05/1/2021 05:07 AM (Saint Jude the Apostle Church | St. Jude Church Blog)
Food and Recycling Collections: On the third Saturday of every month from 9am-10am. LOAVES AND FISHES has adapted to the current pandemic with drive-thru events. It’s an exciting chance to see others in the line of cars and a great way to help those in need. Food insecurity doubled in the months since the pandemic began, so the local needs are great.
You are invited to drive through St. Jude’s parking lot as many third Saturdays as you can to drop off a bag(s) of food AND your aluminum cans and plastic drink bottles with a CRV separated into bags for recycling. If possible, crushing the bottles and cans ahead of time is very helpful.
Questions? Want to donate but are unable to drop off? Want to volunteer in the parking lot? Have a truck for delivery? Please contact John or Jackie Treuting at 805-495-4630. Not getting out to shop? A check to LOAVES AND FISHES is welcome and can be dropped off in line or mailed to the church or me.
THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS.