Baptism – for Adults The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is the process by which people can question, search and inquire into the Catholic faith. At St. Jude, members of our parish partner with those who are journeying to become fully initiated Catholics (Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation). We recognize that people are in all different places in their journey and we are here to help you in any way we can. Call Todd or Eloisa at 818-889-0612 or email [email protected] to find out more about the Catholic faith.
Baptism – for children 8 years and older Children at the age of 8 or older are able to understand the promises made in baptism and the concepts of faith. The preparation for baptism will include the child as well as the parents as they prepare to become Catholic and make the statements of faith themselves. Please contact [email protected] or 818-889-0612
Baptismal Process for Infants and Children under age 7 You may be awaiting the birth of your child, have a newborn or have a child a little older –Congratulations, you have been blessed with a beautiful gift from God! In your role as parent, you are the first and most influential person to lead your child on their faith journey. We look forward to helping you along the way.
Families on F.I.R.E.
FAITH. INSPIRED. RENEWED. ENCOURAGED.
Preparation for Baptism
Stop by to meet other families and find out more about Baptism at St. Jude. Our Families on F.I.R.E. gatherings are held on the 4th Sunday of the month after the 8 a.m. and before the 10 a.m. Masses near the outdoor church.
Grab a donut and join other young families as you gather information about our baptismal process, pick up the necessary forms you need and also meet with other families who have young children.
Our informal gatherings are for those with children, those thinking of having children and those with children due any minute! Everyone is welcome! Parenting isn’t easy, so we need each other’s support!
We ask that you attend the 10 a.m. Mass and then stay in Church for the Baptism session. It will be held in Church following the 10 a.m. Mass on the 4th Sunday of the month. Please come to the front pews of the Church. You must sign up on the sign up genius link below to attend. If your plans change, please be courteous and let us know.
A Baptism session taken at St. Jude is good for 3 years. We recognize classes from other parishes, but we do not accept catechism.com sessions.
Paperwork necessary (complete prior to scheduling baptism)
- Registration form
- Godparent form for each Godparent/Christian Witness (see requirements below)
- Copy of child’s birth certificate
- Session attendance for parents and Godparents
- If your family is not a parishioner of St. Jude, please provide a letter from your parish.
- Suggested donation: $75, checks payable to St. Jude
A baptism cannot be scheduled until we have a copy of the registration form, session attendance for parents and at least one godparent has completed their requirements. We do not schedule “tentative” dates.
During this time of health concerns, we are scheduling baptisms on an individual basis taking into consideration the Church availability, clergy availability and the family schedule. The minimum requirements listed above need to be completed before we can begin the scheduling process.
A Godparent should…
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have received all their Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation
- Be living the Catholic Faith in harmony with the Church, attending Mass and receiving the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist regularly
- be married in the Catholic Church, if married
- cannot be the parent of the child
In addition, Godparents will need to
- complete the Godparent form (below)
- attend a Baptism preparation session.
If one of your godparents is not Catholic, but is baptized in another valid Christian faith, they are a Christian Witness. You must have one practicing Catholic for a godparent if you are choosing a Christian Witness as well.
A Christian Witness must….
- Be at least sixteen years old
- Be a validly baptized Christian
- Be living an upright life
- not be either parent
- not be a baptized Catholic who has left the Church and/or practicing another faith tradition
In addition, a Christian witness will need to
- attend the St. Jude Baptism session or equivalent at a Catholic parish
- complete the Christian witness form
Out of Parish: If you do not live in the parish boundaries and are not registered and participating members of St. Jude, you will need to provide a letter of permission from the church where you are registered. If you are not registered in any parish, then it is highly recommended you register for the Baptism at the church in whose boundaries you live.
Links to all forms:
Contact - Juliana Wilkinson (818)889-0612 or [email protected] with questions and to turn in any forms.