Baptism for All Ages
In Baptism, the first sacrament of initiation, we welcome new members into the Christian faith. Baptism is the beginning of a lifelong journey of faith. While many are baptized as infants, a person can be baptized at any age.
Adults: Adults who wish to be baptized enter into a process of preparation that we call RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults). Begin by attending "Becoming Catholic Inquiry Night" every Tuesday from 7 – 8 p.m. in the Parish Library. For more information: Click here RCIA
Children in Third Grade or above: Children in Third Grade or older are at the age of reason (according to the Church) and will receive all three Sacraments of Initiation. They are not only baptized, but they are also confirmed and receive First Eucharist. For details contact our Faith Formation Director, Cindy Kozal (818)889-0612 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Baptismal Process for Infants and Children in Second Grade or younger
You may be awaiting the birth of your child, have a newborn or have a child a little older –Congratulations, you have been blessed with a beautiful gift from God! In your role as parent, you are the first and most influential person to lead your child on their faith journey. We look forward to helping you along the way.
Baptism is the first Sacrament celebrated in the process of becoming a full member of the Catholic Church. At the baptism of a child (or any person), we celebrate and reflect on God's unconditional love and welcome him or her into our Catholic faith.
PARENTS provide the registration form, a copy of the child’s birth certificate and attend a Baptism preparation class.
The GODPARENTS complete a Godparent form and attend a Baptism preparation class. If a godparent cannot attend a scheduled session at St. Jude’s, they may attend one at their own parish. The Godparent form needs to be signed by their pastor or a delegate of their parish.
- at least 16 years of age
- received all their Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation
- living the Catholic Faith in harmony with the Church, attending Mass and receiving the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist regularly
- if married, must be married in the Catholic Church
- cannot be the parent of the child
- Godparent must complete the godparent form with parish signatures and attend a baptism class
If one of your godparents is not Catholic, but is baptized in another valid Christin faith, they are a Christian Witness. You must have one practicing Catholic for a godparent if you are choosing a Christian Witness as well.
Christian witness requirements:
- at least sixteen years old
- a validly baptized Christian
- living an upright life
- cannot be either parent
- cannot be a baptized Catholic who has left the Church and/or practicing another faith tradition
- attend a Baptism class and complete the Christian witness form
Sign up to Attend Baptismal Preparation Class First Sunday of the Month (pre-registration required, no walk-ins)
Baptism Preparation class begins at 9:30 a.m. in the youth room near the hospitality patio. There will be a short presentation and then together you will attend the 10 AM Mass. The Baptism Preparation class will be concluded in the Church following Mass.
You must stay for the entire baptism class in order to receive an attendance certificate, please plan accordingly. Children are welcome to attend. Please remember no walk-ins.
For questions regarding prep classes email Cindy Kozal at email@example.com.
Out of Parish: If you do not live in the parish boundaries and are not registered and participating members of St. Jude, you will need to provide a letter of permission from the church where you are registered. If you are not registered in any parish, then it is highly recommended you register for the Baptism at the church in whose boundaries you live.
Prior to scheduling your child’s Baptism, all paperwork must be turned in. All forms need to be turned in the Faith Formation office by two weeks prior to Baptism
Check list of information/forms needed:
- Birth Certificate of Child
- Baptismal Registration Form registration form
- Baptismal Godparent Forms – signed by Godparents and by their pastor or parish delegate. A letter from their pastor may replace the pastor/delegate signature. Godparent form
- Christian Witness Form (if applicable) Christian witness form
- Baptismal Preparation Class Certificates for both parents and Godparents (registration is on the parish website)
- OUT OF PARISH: Catholics from other parishes wishing to have their child baptized here must present a letter from their pastor stating that they have his permission to have their child baptized at St. Jude
- Suggested Stipend of $75.00 payable to St. Jude Catholic Community
Scheduling a Baptism once paperwork is complete
- Baptisms are the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the Month at 1:30 PM. Baptisms are not celebrated during Lent and may be rescheduled during key holiday periods.
- We offer communal baptisms – there may be several children being baptized, so please be on time and respectful of the liturgy during the entire celebration
Contact - Cindy Kozal (818)889-0612 or firstname.lastname@example.org