Altar Server Ministry
Altar Servers offer service to God and the community by assisting the priest during mass.
This ministry of assistance at the Holy Altar of the Lord is open to young men and women in 5th grade or higher. Altar Servers must obtain parental permission and agree to comply with a dress code when serving. Altar Servers are assigned to assist the clergy during Mass hours, Holy days, wedding and funeral liturgies.
Responsibilities of Altar Servers include:
- Lighting the altar candles
- Extinguishing the altar candles
- Bearing the cross in entrance procession
- Bearing the candles in entrance procession
- Assisting with holy water, water, wine and offertory gifts at Mass
Serving at the altar is a big responsibility. The clergy count on your showing up when scheduled. They count on your mature attitude while serving. They expect you to be dressed neatly and to arrive early. They appreciate a reverent attitude in all that you do.